Overwatch’s Experimental Card Tournament, a unique esports competition that takes tentative PTR changes into a $40 thousand prize pool Flash Ops event, has finally been decided by a panel of professional players and influencers.
The panel is over, let the experimentation begin 🔬
— Overwatch League (@overwatchleague) March 15, 2021
Experimental Card Tournament
In a heated community panel lasting just over two and a half hours, a variety of Overwatch esports experts decided potential hero changes. These experts include Overwatch League caster Soe “Soembie” Gschwind, Toronto Defiant streamer Francine “Fran” Vo, Seoul Dynasty DPS player Jong-Ryeol “Saebyeolbe” Park, and many more. Holding an extended debate over hero changes, these panelists determined the details on the Flash Ops Experimental Card Tournament.
This debate took place with some rules in place. Every Overwatch hero was assigned a captain, who takes charge in suggesting balance changes. Although this captain takes the lead, the rest of the panel can suggest additional changes too. In order to keep some form of balance in the excitement, heroes could only get up to two changes. To make it through into the Overwatch Experimental Card Tournament, at least three votes needed to agree with the captain breaking a tie.
What's better than one Torbjorn turret? TWO TORBJORN TURRETS!
The Experimental Card Panel Discussion is live in an hour!
— Overwatch League (@overwatchleague) March 14, 2021
The tournament itself boasts a $40 thousand overall prize pool, with $10 thousand going to each of four regions. In North America, 512 teams can participate with teams allowed to hold six to eight players. Each match is a best of three where the ones after Round of 32 begin getting broadcasted.
Something to note is that Blizzard explicitly stated these changes will not go to any live servers. These suggested changes are limited to the Overwatch Flash Ops Experimental Card Tournament. Something to note is that Blizzard may be influenced by the success of certain updates and modify it into the PTR. This would depend on community reactions and which heroes improve their performances.
- Venom Mine: Increased Range and Increased Duration
- Biotic Rifle: Ammo increased from 12 to 14
- Nano Boost: Can now be used on herself
- Concussion Mine: Minimum damage increased from 30 to 35
- Shadowstep: Decreased Sound Volume/ Removed Voice Lines
- Valkyrie: Guardian Angel now resets per final blow (elimination)
- Dynamite: Damage reduced to 18 DP/s (100 to 90 Total)
- Character Model Changed/Decreased Hitbox
- Quad Cannon: Ammo Decreased to 70
- Adaptive Shields: Now gives enemies ultimate charge
- Grapple: Increased Cooldown to 6/7
- Translocator: Increased Cooldown to 7
- Hack: Increased Cast time by .5 (1.15) and duration increased from 5 to 6 seconds
- Energy: Decay rate changed (not specified)
- Projected Barrier: Range Increased by (approx. 3-4 meters)
- Earthshatter: Duration now scales with range
- Inspire: Now cancels duration upon death
- Helix Rockets: Now has 2 charges, Damage decreased to 80, and Self-damage decreased (not specified)
- Tactical Visor: Increased Range
- Rocket Launcher: Damage is now dependent on whether she is in the air or on the ground (-5%/+10%)
- Transcendence: Increased Movement & Jump Verticle speed (approx. 5%)
- Health Increased by 25
- Recall: Increased Cooldown
- Health lowered and armor increased to 350/165
- Regenerative Burst: Ally healing reduced
- Immortality Field: Health Cap reduced from 20% to just 1 HP
- Self-Repair: Increased Movement speed while active
- Dragonstrike: Increased Damage and Increased projectile speed. Dragons now cast closer to Hanzo too
- Shuriken: Secondary fire spread reduced
- Dragonblade: Now gets more duration upon per elimination
- Protective Barrier: Barrier Health increased to 700 and Cooldown increased to 11
- Supercharger: Increased health of supercharger device
- Duplicate: Now exits with 50% health (not specified on the exit cause)
- Turret: Now can have two turrets online but Reduced Health/Damage for Turret(s)
- Sentry Turret: Projectile Speed increased (when traveling in the air)
- Crossfade: Range Increased by 50% and Effects scale with distance
- Soundwave: Knockback reduced and Cooldown increased from 4 to 6-8 seconds
- Endothermic Blaster: Ammo increased to 140
- Boosters: Increased Range (Increased Boosters duration)
Interested fans can sign up for the Overwatch Experimental Card Tournament on their website. Round 1 starts on March 26 at 3 PM PST while the grand finals take place on March 28 at 2 PM PST. Players will want to stay tuned to see if any of these Flash Ops tournament changes make it to the PTR.
Written by Justin Amin
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
If you’re interested in seeing more of Esportz Network, follow our social media at Twitter, Instagram, and Facebook. We have daily podcasts at the Esports Minute and weekly interviews at the Esportz Network Podcast. Anyone can also join our community on Discord and chat about your favorite games, esports, and more!